Jello Shots are a fun way to put a spin on some of your favorite cocktail flavor combos and the possibilities are limited only by your imagination! Here are a few ideas to get you started…
- Strawberry Lemonade: Strawberry Jello & lemon vodka
- Lemon Drop: Lemon Jello & lemon vodka – with lemon drop rimming sugar on top for a little sparkle
- Limeade: Lime Jello & watermelon vodka
- Hawaiian: Berry Blue Jello & coconut vodka
- Black Widow: Grape Jello & blackberry vodka
- Dreamsicle: Orange Jello & whipped cream vodka
- Mimosa: Orange Jello & champagne
- Pina Colada: Pineapple Jello and coconut rum
You can serve your shots in a variety of ways:
- Super simple: Make them in a rectangular glass cake pan, chill, and then cut into cubes.
- Mildly tricky: Pour into 2oz plastic cups, slap a lid on top and chill until you’re ready to serve.
- Slightly trickier: Gelatin Injectors take a bit more time but are worth it for the easy consumption your guests will enjoy! Just remove the injector cap, dip the injector-end into prepared jello & pull back the plunger to fill. Replace cap, wipe away any excess jello & chill.
Finally, this recipe is super adaptable and easy, though there is some wait time – especially if you want to layer colors/flavors.
Ingredients: For about ten 2oz shots, you will need:
- One 3oz package flavored Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup flavored vodka (or other spirits) – chilled
- 1/2 cup cold water
It’s best to do some planning and container prep before you start putting your recipe together. First, whichever method you choose will require chilling time, so be sure to make space in your fridge.
- For the cake pan method – you’ll need an 8×8 glass cake pan for this recipe. If you decide to double the recipe, be sure to pull out extra pans or a larger pan (such as a 9×13).
- For the 2oz shot cups – align cups on a cookie sheet to make it easier to transfer from counter to fridge for chilling.
- For the injectors – find a tub or large shallow dish that the injectors will fit in once filled – again, makes it easier to move the shots to the fridge.
Empty jello packet into a large mixing bowl and add boiling water; whisk together 2 minutes, or until jello is fully dissolved. Stir in chilled vodka (or other spirits) and cold water.
Pour prepared jello into your glass cake pan, OR fill shots cups 1/2-3/4 of the way, OR fill injectors by removing the injector cap, dipping the injector-end into prepared jello & pulling back the plunger to fill.
Refrigerate until set or overnight. If you want to layer jello colors/flavors, you’ll need to make one layer at a time and chill at least one hour before moving on to the next layer. Layers are fun for sports teams (blue and orange for the OKC Thunder) and holidays (red and green for Christmas or red, white* and blue for Independence day) – the possibilities are endless!
Be sure to visit Camelot Wine & Spirits for ALL your jello shot needs! We carry everything from 2oz plastic shot cups with lids, to gelatin injectors, jello, and MANY different flavored vodkas to make your wildest combination ideas come true.
*To make white jello shots, you’ll need:
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin (such as Knox)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup whipped cream flavored vodka
- 1 cup boiling water
Pour whipped cream flavored vodka into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle both packets of unflavored gelatin on top and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour in all of the sweetened condensed milk and stir to blend. Fill containers and chill as described above.